9.6.06

Something else. . .

That's not to say that the "astronomy computer" mentioned earlier is a fantastic device, but rather the mystery behind the artifact does have fictional tones to it: discovered in a mundane fashion, hidden in a rather exotic locale (underwater no less), persisted to elude researchers as to its true nature and ended up being a sophisticated tool. However, that tangible feeling of mystery underlies both mythology and nature. But mythology was used to explain the world around us, which was partially replaced by science. So one explanatory discourse is being used to understand the previous one, and then discovers that ancient people weren't that far off the track.

As "L" pointed out, my extended holiday precluded any freelancing. I guess I'm not as ambitious as I thought I was earlier. When my temp job is over I'm going to take a more active role by tossing out a few articles along with finishing up my first draft.

Which I'll stop mentioning anytime soon.

4 comments:

M said...

Nice user icon.. Everybody loves a good Rasputin picture.

Jay said...

Thank you. I was waiting for a few Livejournal users to stop using that icon before I uploaded the sucker.

Anonymous said...

Why is "L" in quotation marks? I am working on my big three punching-above-my-weight freelance queries right now, and I thought of you. When are you sending out some of your revised poetry? I've got a market that they'd fit nicely in.

*L

Jay said...

Well, for starters, I write your name in quotation marks because anonymity can be funny, especially when more than three-quarters of my readership knows your secret identity.

I have at least five poems set for publication. Send me some details, please. Saves me the work.

I've been checking out some journals though.