19.11.06

These aren't complaints, they're Morse Code for OH MY GOD I WANT TO RUN AWAY SCREAMING!!1!

The next month and a half is going to be crazy busy. I've been using the term "crazy busy" for three weeks now because I can't think of a more appropriate description.

First, we need to give our one month notice to move out of our current house. Then, we have to pack our belongings and get rid of furniture, clothes and other miscellaneous stuff. We then have to hunt around for storage options for six months.

Our cat needs a home, too. Andrew, our housemate, has offered to look after our little beast. We plan on giving him some cash for his troubles. The money will go to Andrew, not the cat.

We have one more document to collect to guarantee our student visas. This process has taken almost a month to get all the documentation together.

I still have three papers to write, and five exams next month. Some are take-home exams, which is not ideal. I have to make time to write them while I'm packing.

We're kinda broke at the moment.

And I'm out of coffee. Luckily, I have some espresso grounds floating around. With the turbid water supply in Vancouver, brewing coffee is problematic.

I have to make plans to travel to Victoria for the holidays.

We're attending a wedding on December 31st.

Since our flight is on January 10th, we'll be homeless for ten days. Anyone want to house a couple of soon-to-be expatriates?

Did I mention we're broke?

My dad's prognosis has changed. I don't know the changes, and I don't why it changed. There's talk of sending him to a long-term care home, but, um, that doesn't make sense. The line of communication between the hospital and my family is piss poor. My mom is going nuts.

Send help. And money.

5 comments:

Julia said...

hey hey boy.

that does sound kinda crazy. but fun as well.

and i totally understand the insanity that precedes expatriation.

kittens and storage and housemates, oh my!

if i get the posting i'm trying for i might be flying out on the 10th of jan too (what carrier are you 2 on??). so kittens have to go live with grandparents, boyfriend has to quit job, furniture all has to go into storage (maybe our stuff and your stuff can live next door to each other, be all neighbourly), and i think i'm heading to the same wedding as you.

and maybe you 2 could live in our bathtub for 10 days?

ah man, there is a red-headed woman who's gonna have a crappy late january if this all works out.

Jay said...

Good to know you're on the ex-pat adventure, too.

You're going to the same wedding?! How about that!

My mom suggested we look up this company that has you stuff a trailer with your precious belongings and then they haul it away to a secure location. She manages an apartment building, and she told me past tenants used the service and found it convenient and affordable.

Red-headed woman? You mean Dana Scully? I'm sure she'll be fine without us. I mean, she hasn't even returned my phone calls for weeks.

We are not living in your bathtub. We do have our dignity, after all. We'll sleep in the dumpster behind your place, thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

red-headed woman here.

j, i already told your red-headed woman that you guys can stay here while you are moving out, etc.

and yes - i've heard directly from dana scully that she will be mightly blue but will distract herself with lots of snowboarding and scheming for travel plans to visit her lovely ex-pat friends who are really family.

she returns my calls.........

love jess xo

Anonymous said...

Julia: we're on BA, so I'd imagine that we could end up on the same flight. Leaving mid aft for London.

For some reason, this red head isn't feeling too much fear. Maybe it's denial. I have to mark for 4 college courses, finish teaching, plan for the farm, pack the house, help J survive exams, help lil bro find a palazzo for himself and Sal, visit family, fly back East for a (probable) memorial, grad, pass work evals, network for a future position, finalize visa applications, go to a wedding, live in a bathtub/dumpster for 10 days. Ok, I take it back, I'm scared.

*L

Jay said...

There are too many red-headed (and lovely) women in my life. Dana and I are not on speaking terms anymore since she dating some guy from Washington.

That'll be nice, Red-Headed Woman, to sleep at your house. I wasn't aware an offer was made.

And OH MY GOD, why is Dana calling you and not me? That BITCH! Oh, look at me, I'm seeing some jerk with big hair and a fetish for red shoes. Gah.

And your damn right your visiting us.

I like this post. Everyone gets to voice their . . . um . . . concerns? Fears? No, let's stick with grievances.