29.10.05

Addendum

The Alice Munro event was okay. She was handed an award, read for twenty minutes then scooted off stage. No question and answer stuff, which is what I was looking forward to hearing. I wasn't very prepared, so luckily Michael, Lisa's dad, had a good question so he rolled with that and I eavesdropped. I got my quotes. All in all, a successful evening.

We decided to carve Darth Vader's portrait into the gigantic pumpkin.

I've been meaning to write about my Great Aunt Margaret for some time. From what I know, she was the youngest in my grandfather's family (on my dad's side) and was elected to be the one who would go to school and be the family breadwinner. So, the family worked so Margaret could attend university, which she eventually did. However, when she graduated, instead of returning to the family and working as a teacher, she "abandoned" them and fled to New York. There, she would eventually become the head librarian for Columbia University, where some of the Beat poets and writers attended. I don't know if she was working there when Ginsberg and them were taking classes; something worth investigating though. She never married and hardly kept in touch with her family. She did give my dad a book when he was young, but I forgot the conversation that was relayed to me. When she passed away - only a few years ago - she left behind a huge chunk of change because she simply hoarded it all and kept her money tied up in different accounts. The money was slowly dispersed among the family over time. But what is interesting is that she was something of a scholar. Not only did she leave behind some money, she also left behind her notebooks, which contain her ideas on language and other subjects. Two of my uncles are in possession of them. There is going to be a huge family reunion in August, so maybe I can gain access to her notebooks then. Who knows. I was thinking of making copies to evaluate their originality. I'm interested in all this because it raises some questions: why did she leave the family? Why New York? What else did she do there, where did she live? What are in her notebooks? So many questions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Halloween! Has the alien-dog-monster been disposed of yet? (You are in the other room, watching a scary movie and I'm wondering if it is safe to come out of hiding yet).

Jay said...

The alien-dog-monster is safetly nestled in the Thing's slimy bosum.