6.7.06

If I Say Good-Bye I Will Never See You Again

I sat on my stoop and smoked a cigarette.

Someone was plucking a banjo nearby. The song was faint, the notes leaping and tumbling into one another. A long-haired cat, coloured like dried flowers, slept on my neighbour's porch. Sprinklers tossed water across the lawns and sidewalks. The clouds were thick and soupy, mixing with the fading orange light.

Two men walked by. One pointed at my crooked patio and said, "water damage." The other pulled at his thick moustache and asked his companion what he said. "Water damage," he uttered as he looked at my patio, and then at me. They continued walking.

The phone rang a few times. I washed the floors, made potato salad, bought wine and paper plates. I called Lisa.

"What's up?"
"In three hours I will no longer be in my twenties."
"You sound all melancholy."
"I realized while I was cutting potatoes that my twenties will be gone."
"You had a good run. It's only going to get better."

We talked about literature. I explained the trajectory my life had taken. I congratulated myself by repeating all the wonderful things others had said about me. I got excited by the planning and the dreaming.

Night slipped into the city. Tomorrow, friends will arrive. The house was clean and the food was cooked, cooling in the fridge.

I was ready.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

Love,
L.

Anonymous said...

You realize that's the translated lyrics of Zaphod's ancient Betelgeuse death anthem, right?

"After this, things can only get better."

Happy birthday, old man.

Jay said...

L: Thank you.

Chris: Does that mean I have to pay royalties or something? Thanks, man.

grad student hack said...

Hurry up and come back from your b-day trip to the Black Thrust so that I can be hooliganish about my team kicking your team's ass!

grad student hack said...

Ok, obviously the hooliganism is on hold until you feel better.

ps: the party was stellar, particularly the part where the punks leaned out their window and told us to shut up. At 11pm, on a Friday.

Jay said...

I was totally surprised by that. I was expecting our downstairs neighbours to say something. I mean, I wouldn't blame them. But bike punks? Who have thrown screaming parties until two in the morning?

Kids these days.