10.5.05

Let my internal dialectic session bloom

Lately I've been a little burned out on passwords. My life and work requires computers, and I need to access the contents of said computer. I have to check email, chat or log on to the computers at school; all of which require a password. Modern worklife, especially in offices, is really a memorization game. Most people have to juggle several passwords (for instance, I have passwords for Friendster, Flickr, Hotmail, Livejournal and school) in order to create, manage and transmit information to other parties. I don't know where I'm going with this, but historically, this is definitely a new trend in labour. Also, the personal management of security embodies Habermas' risk society, or the formation of stringent security protocols to protect citizens from a perceived danger, one often associated with modern life. This can include accidents, crime or (gasp!) terrorism.* Part of this new "security culture" is monitoring (video cameras in public spaces, like in the U.K.) but also an internalization of protocol, like memorizing passwords or procedures to keep one "safe."

* Terrorism is very real and very serious, so my snide comment is not a show of disrespect to the victims of terrorist acts in the United States and abroad. However, it is difficult to deny that the threat of terrorism is employed by media and government to sustain tension in North American society.

No comments: