22.5.05

Like most people on the internets, George Lucas has seeped into my digital monologue.

Rainy day. I'm stuck inside doing homework, since I'm a week behind on my readings, but my assignments are all doing swell. I have to finish this philosophy text, then move onto English.

You can tell nothing is going on when I write about school.

Well, I did wait in line for two hours with C and A to see Star Wars. Still, without a doubt, a terrible movie. I will agree with my fellow nerds with this movie's tone being much closer than the first three. However, where the hell is the plot? If it's there, then I find it really hard to nail down. I also agree with L, Lucas only had vague ideas for his prequels, and everything, both visually and dramatically, hinged on the third installment. He needed two movies, or two acts, to get to the third. That's like having a cool idea for a final fight scene but not really knowing how to direct the characters in that direction. A New Hope had a story, The Empire Strikes Back was drifting away from plot conventions and Return of the Jedi was like a Jackson Pollack painting, everywhere and nowhere all at once.

Revenge of the Sith is a fun movie to watch. Lots of lightsabre (saber?) battles, military campaigns in strange, alien landscapes and of course, Yoda kicks Sith ass in this film. A good popcorn movie, but it's such a merchandise generator; the public will be bombarded with Stars Wars junk until Christmas.

No comments: