25.4.06

The weekend.

With exams finished and essays turned in, I'm feeling a little of the anomie today. I know what I have to do, but there seems to be no purpose for doing any of those things.

I'm still looking for a job, yes.

My weekend was fantastic. Lisa and her family invited me to stay with them on their friend's property near Duncan. Lisa and I shared a beautiful cabin with her brother, and her folks stayed in their friend's place. All I did was eat, sleep, read and write for a couple of days in very scenic surroundings.

I wrote a couple of pages for a new story, a sketch for another one and I organized my other projects for the summer. I also tried to write a poem in Emily Dickinson's style and voice:

Piano keys - strike
- as Bees hum in hot glass
Dropping - thick and straight -
a little Thunder -

Not the most successful, since I tried to emulate her meter and the lines fall short by a few syllables. Dickinson played with meter quite a bit, throwing off our expectations by suddenly introducing a line that was too long or too short. I think I'll be writing some sonnets over the summer as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The weekend was indeed fantastic. And you got 88% in English class. You rock!

Jay said...

You're too sweet, Anonymous. I was really pleased with my grades so far.