9.4.06

You will know me by the stink. Of victory!

Man. I've been to two parties, a sociology / anthropology conference and now we're waiting for Lisa's folks to come by so we can head for a birthday celebration at the Naam. Michael (Lisa's dad) has a birthday four days from now, so we're getting together this afternoon. This weekend has kept me from sleeping in pajamas; I just crawl into bed in my clothes and then slide out in the morning to arrange myself for the day. Rinse and repeat.

The conference was fantastic. The presentation on the use of soundscapes as sources for empirical social research, as well as cultural research, was so damn incredible. The fact that sound is directly connected with processes that occur in society and should be regarded (like the sounds one hears in a war, on the street, or at home) is so bloody interesting I've been mulling ideas around in my head since Saturday. One notion I remember from the presentation was that our range of hearing is the same range our voices can carry. How does this connect with protests, performed poems or conversations? The dialectics of spoken discourse, of listened discourse. Low frequencies induce calm, high frequencies cause pain. The possiblities are endless.

No comments: