24.12.04

@))$: The Year of the Brain

As the year 2004 is smothered under a blanket of snow, then crushed like an overripe grape, I will give myself a few moments to reflect on the past year and my accomplishments.

Done. Let's move on.

I was rather fond of Warren Ellis' summary of this forgettable year, like most most years I've had in my short twenty-eight years. Well, it would be untrue if my current "reeducation" wasn't notable in the last three hundred and sixty-five days. I am relieved, and thankful, to return to the glorious halls of academia and drink the sweet, sweet nectar that oozes from. . .it's ooze-hole. I dunno. But it I do feel like a completed human, rather than trying to operate with missing parts, and I can complete projects with a degree of confidence reserved for generals and guys who work-out regularly (this is why I hate summer).

The political atmosphere for the next four years is going to be interesting. American politics has a way of affecting Canada, as our politicians attempt to appease the suited gorilla or resist whatever senseless (senseless to the public good, but it is a brilliant strategem for the wealthy and powerful) policies cooked up in the White House. Ottawa is not too keen on the whole Middle East occupation, plus Paul Martin has slung some dirt at the Americans on a few occasions - the support for gay marriage in Canada is totally hilarious, since many states despise the idea. I can't help but think this is Ottawa's way of giving the finger behind Goliath's back. Don't get me wrong, Martin is far from perfect. I am pleased that he picked up on the whole "U.S.A. is not O.K." vibe in Canada (in some parts, if not most) but the man needs to get off his ass and shake it a little. I will complain on this later.

But, 2004 will be remembered for the changes - my new school, my new house and my new computer, which I am typing on this very minute. I love you, lappy. I have gotten closer to my family, and L and I spent another year building our relationship, unless she is watching Christmas-themed sitcoms on cable. *shiver* I will vow to toss our television into the deepest ocean and watch it sink deeper and deeper into the cold abyss. Televisions should only be used for movies (film for you arty people) and the occasional video game.

And a brief note on Christmas traditions: as I live longer, I crave to forge my own holiday traditions. Meaning, I will indulge in rich foods, potent booze, and Silent Night, Deadly Night. Comics, books, laptop and games - together at last. Cheers!

No comments: