28.12.04

Lots of parentheses and repetition for effect.

Like some, I've been overwhelmed by the devastation in Sri Lanka, Thailand and Indonesia (and others) and there are times when we are paralyzed by the enormity and the loss. To get an idea of the destruction left by this tsunami, this series of images will set you straight. If you can muster together enough cash, I'm sure you can make a donation to the Red Cross - they purchase local goods to provide aid to communities, which in turn keeps local economies stable by not saturating the market with foreign goods.

On a lighter note, L and I will be heading out tomorrow morning to catch the 9:00 AM sailing, and hopefully R and G will hook up with us since they are presumably taking the same ferry. We left my grandma's card and gift at my parent's house (ouch) but my dad might drop it off before we book it. We had a great time at my folk's place, well, we had a long lunch before (we were going to have breakfast but we bumped into K(!) last night while wandering downtown and I drank far, far too much at Big Bad Johns and a club he DJ's at. Lotsa fun we had, catching up and gossiping and everything!) and we dropped by for dinner (more like a feast) and played this fun family game called Break the Safe; a cooperative game where four players have to open a safe in thirty minutes. I will not go into the filthy details. My mom packed us a bunch of baked goods for the trip home. Thanks mom!

When we get back I plan to get the house in order, buy books, comics, clothes and a game (wheee!) and spend some time with my cat. I have no idea, really no idea, how to get my New Year's on. Why is there is this strange pressure to "do" something? I try to shake it off but I feel left out when I sit at home and read whatever books/surf the net/write something lame as people make drunken messes of themselves. I want to be a drunken mess.

No comments: