15.11.05

Look at us now.

The problem I'm having with Blogger these days is the fact that the "Interests" and "Favourite Books" sections don't give enough room for all the stuff I want to brag about. I cut and pasted my profile from Friendster, but only a third of my favourite things appear. I should look into editing the old profile page.

I'm just doing up a short paper on W.E.B. DuBois and then I'm slinking off to bed. Lisa is staying up late so I figured I'd hang out with her for awhile and finish this thing off. No, not because I procrastinated. Well, a little.

Oh, last weekend. A brief summary: last Thursday I made the trek over to New Westminster to celebrate Iain's birthday and hang out with the Other Press crew, the student paper I wrote for when I was attending Douglas. Lots of booze. I played pool - I'm totally rusty, like an "iron nail immersed in a rain barrel for a century" kind of rusty - and I taught two people how to hold a pool cue. I received some compliments on past work and condolences for Terminal City. I ended up crashing at Iain's, and the resident cat snoozed on my lap. Friday night was the Terminal City get-together. Kind of sad, it was. Honestly, I don't remember much. I had the linguine (too much butter), several glasses of beer, aged whiskey, flourless chocolate cake (which was rich, but needed another dimension), creme brulee (now, that was fine) and some bites of other dishes. I remember walking home happy, but feeling a little empty. There should be accents for "creme brulee," but I don't know how to HTML that kind of thing.

Just two more assignments, then I'm free. My plans so far? Hang out with Chris and play video games with Iain. I've been invited to see Harry Potter - I'm not a huge fan, but it's wonderful to have kids reading and getting excited about stories and characters, so it's fun to keep track of the narrative. I don't have time to read the books so the movies shed some light for me. But, like I heard recently, Rowlings can't write a sentence without bogging it down with adjectives and adverbs. I agree. That kind of turns me off her prose.

3 comments:

grad student hack said...

I'd like to know how to play pool. What I'd really like would be to become a shark like in that Newman movie (though, that ends badly, doesn't it). All suave, smoking and debonair as I take the money from the marks who line up to play me.

Jay said...

I'll be happy to show you. I don't provide instruction on fleecing suckers, but if you want to learn how to smack yourself with your own pool cue, then I'm your man.

grad student hack said...

Sa-weet. I'll use my instinctive know-how for the fleecing bit. Actually, my instinctive know-how probably already knows how to smack myself in the chops with a cue, so what exactly do I need you for? Oh yeah, the pool bit.