28.11.05

Some news.

I'm totally self-absorbed today. I have a sociology exam on Wednesday, so I've been studying for quite some time. But while I was submerged in turn of the century social theory, the Canadian government was dissolved today. The vote of no confidence went through. I figured the Tories were all over this scheme, but apparently the NDP were also instrumental in spearheading this maneuver. I will continue to follow these events, without a doubt.

I sprained my foot on the way home today. As I was exiting the bus, the man in front of me suddenly stopped, with one foot on the curb and the other firmly planted on the bottom step. He was chatting on his cell phone. I had to halt, and in the process my left foot (my favourite one!) slipped and bent at an acute angle, folding over like a thick wad of paper. I shrieked and hobbled over to a bench to examine the poor appendage. Nothing broken. I spent the last two hours with my foot elevated on a stool, nestled next to an icepack. My left foot and sociology: the reasons I would probably miss our first contact with extra-terrestrial life.

On the last poem: I don't know why I separated the poem into two stanzas. It seemed to contain two distinct scenes. I pondered over the new line for awhile ("grey air") in an attempt to draw a correlation between church bells and a ringing phone. I think another draft is due.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That bruise on your foot is terrible! You should ice it more. I found a link you might like, because of your nascent interest in medicine:

http://oracknows.blogspot.com/

The guy is a doctor, a good writer and really skewers pseudoscience (like the bogus and dangerous idea that HIV doesn't cause Aids). Hope your exam goes well. Tea and cookies await your return.

love,
L

Anonymous said...

ps: the above really was me. Sorry I wrote it in the most common spam format ("random commentary on blog + check out this link!"). I thought the allusion to tea would tip you off that it's really me.
*lisa