25.3.06

Havana, drama and vendetta.

Lisa and I finally went to Havana last night for a light dinner and drinks. Although I was impressed with the friendly and efficient service, the food was a little dubious. For $6.00 I had the chili and rice, which was adequate; the rice was light and not too buttery, and the chili had a slight smoky flavour but it could have used another layer. Perhaps a sprig of cilantro or some dark chocolate? Also, the portion bordered on the miniscule. The presentation was charming, with the rice and chili divided evenly on either side of the bowl. However, a little spoonful more would be superb. Lisa described her black bean soup ($5.00 or $6.00) as being plain but very tasty. The two qualities seem to cancel each other out, no? That is not necessarily a good situation, you simply get a "neutral" soup that's not impressionable at all. We also ordered a pitcher of blanco sangria. Oh, yes, I was impressed: very fruity, very refreshing and very addictive.

We ate at Havana because the play I'm reviewing is performed in the small theatre space in the back of the restaurant. When I finish it today I want to link to the article from this blog. I've had plans to showcase my writing from here for awhile now.

Tonight I have plans to see V for Vendetta with friends.

No comments: