2.3.06

An open letter to professors and teaching assistants.

Discombobulated. That's the word that best summarizes my day so far. I missed my English class this morning and I didn't bother going to school yesterday. I read and bought comics instead.

So, an open letter to professors and teaching assistants: sometimes students get burnt-out, exhausted, confused or terrified. Students must endure these feelings as they progress through their academic career. You, as the teacher, have already gone through this stressful, difficult process already, how did you cope with the struggles as they appeared in your undergraduate years? Your students can't always produce perfect work or give a stellar performance during class. Some have obligations outside of school, like families or health issues that prevent them from being the ideal student. Do you find that students don't take advantage of your office hours? It's because of the obstacles I just mentioned, not because they're lazy or unintelligent or shy. Although, sometimes those are the reasons too. So, dear professors and TAs, keep these circumstances in mind before writing off a student who you think is simply slacking off.

3 comments:

grad student hack said...

I would submit that a) teachers and TA's are well aware of this for the most part, I certainly am. and b) you could as easily substitute the word "student" for "prof" or "TA" in the following quote:

"sometimes students get burnt-out, exhausted, confused or terrified. Students must endure these feelings as they progress through their academic career"

Attaining TA level, or even prof level does not mean you have made it and are suddenly above life's trials. Up until the point of tenure, you are busting your ass every day, for ridiculously low pay (after 11 years of post-secondary work and the crushing loans that come with it), dealing with your own problems, grading for multiple classes, juggling personal life and exhaustion, all the while fielding complaints/requests/demands/excuses/ whines/vaguely-veiled threats/etc... from students and colleagues. For every student that has a legitimate real-life issue, you have ten who make stuff up like "my boyfriend hit me, so I had to cheat on this test cuz I didn't have time to study". Yes, this is a real example (when asked to go to academic advising to get compassionate withdrawal or some such, she abruptly stopped coming in for "help"). Am I bitter? Nahhh.....

Profs and TAs are people too. Try our shoes on for size, you may find they pinch a little!

Jay said...

You're totally right, although keep in mind (as I'm sure you have) that I'm writing from the perspective of an undergraduate student with minimal teaching experience. Yeah, I know my post clearly demonstrates that.

I think I'm advocating for students who work really hard and get little credit for their efforts, which is rare but sometimes it happens.

What's great about this dialogue is that undergrads (and grad students and profs and TAs) can read my post then move onto your comment and hear from the other side.

Thanks, GSH.

Julia said...

i think that academia is a incredibly bizarre institution. and this post, and GSH's response had a funny effect on me. i think i finally understand jason's frustrations as he would try to both validate my feelings, and at the same time, make me stop giving so much power to the university as a structure. so while on one hand i want to say, just chill, it's all cool, its just the uni... on the other hand...

i remember what incredibly fucked up games go on inside those walls, and i remember the pyschological effects of paralysis, depression, and hopelessness that i experienced myself. and while it wasn't all bad (although the last few years were definitly more bad than good), it was powerful.

i guess my general word of advice is just get the hell out! but ok, seriously, since you both have invested a lot in those careers, and for the most part seem to enjoy them, i don't think that's the right answer. don't let the bastards grind you down? does that help? but as we have all learned in our sociological studies, it isn't the individuals that are fucking you necessarily, but possibly the institution itself. and while there are gatekeepers to that institution (read tenured profs and student union sucks) most of the people are struggling the most to retain their identities, ethics, and sense of self-worth while negotiated the never ending mazes of bureacracy and demoralisation.

just think about the 'labrynth'. and next time you see david bowie in a pair of leggings with big spikey hair... repeat 'you have no power over me' until he turns into an owl.

i don't have to make sense. i'm in sudan.