1.5.06

Editing woes.

You can call someone an asshole or an areshole. I have yet to decide which is better. Suggestions are gladly accepted, as are gold nuggets, red wine or those fortunate enough to work in an university administration office.

Okay, I'm talking to myself at this point and that's okay. Lately I've noticed (only recently, Lisa has been pointing this out for some time) that my editing skills have diminished over time. I write the piece, leave the bastard alone and then when I return to the page I miss enough errors to fill a respectable four-door sedan. Case in point: I read a plot synopsis I wrote (don't ask) and noticed that these little typos or repetitive phrases or poor diction chip away at the overall effectiveness of the work. So stupid.

What to do. Be more careful? Sure. There has to be a better solution. Last weekend I noticed how Lisa formats her page as she types. She doesn't go for the whole double-space, just the half-space. When the text is compressed on the page I really can't pick out the nasty little bits, they just meld with all the other words. Giving them some breathing space might give my editing eyes (which is connected to the editing brain) a fighting chance, yes?

That, and get used to reading my own work millions of times until it's perfect.

Oh, right. It's never perfect. That, I'm used to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Lisa sounds like a real gem. Lol.

Jay said...

Lol?