5.8.04

the play people games

I just lost two games at Age of Mythology, and lost a game of chess with my friend R., who was very kind and hung out at my pad and drank tea and made a chessboard with me using masking tape, a Sharpie, and canvas paper.

I have come to the conclusion that I suck at games. All games. I continually lose to other (mostly male) players all the time. Board games, video games, and especially sports. I think it mostly has to do with the fact that I was never a competitive person growing up. I never played sports, and I never joined any kind of gaming club. I was content to hide in my room and draw, write stories (or make up stories using toys) and practice magic tricks. The drive to crush my opponent was never installed into my personality. I guess 'cause I never showed any interest in competitive activities my folks never bothered signing me up. My parents are cool like that.

I do believe, however, that the competitive drive is unhealthy and very destructive, especially in men. I spent most of my early school days not even bothering to try in gym class, I simply went limp or walked in circles or did a half-ass job at the activities. Whenever I did try and was kinda successful, the gym teachers just shrugged their shoulders and muttered a "meh" and then cheered on the gym keeners. So I responded with a "f*ck it." What's funny though, is that if a male doesn't live up to the expectations set out by the curriculum (which is so freakin' gendered), then there must be something terribly, terribly wrong with that male. And the kicker? All the stupid keeners start picking on you, and use your performance (or lack thereof) in the gym as some demented yardstick to measure your worth as a human being.

F*ck that.

So a message to all the kids out there who hate gym: it is a waste of time. Do everything possible to avoid it - call in sick, tell them your religion forbids you to take part, whatever it takes. You can even protest, questioning the value of "physical education" by pointing out that most North Americans are obese, so obviously no one is getting "educated".

No comments: