10.1.05

En guarde!

What!? Another student loan to cash in? I forgot they come in pairs. I got a tax return today so I can deposit that and cash in loan number two. Just about finished my homework.

I also remembered that I have fencing tomorrow night. I am pretty excited, my first lesson was really fun. We learned the stance, walking (both in small steps and in long strides), basic maneuvering and some history of the sport including the equipment used. There are three styles - foil, epee and sabre. For the next twelve lessons we will be learning the foil, since the methods apply to the other two styles. Most fencers specialize in one style, and since I'm a beginner that decision is far in the future. I spend my free hours going over what we learned in class, or inbetween study sessions. I find working out in the gym really helps develop areas that are, well, underappreciated.

Fencing has totally inspired me to reconnect with other activities, like aikido and archery. I was into archery when I was in junior high, I really enjoyed it at the time and I regret selling my bow to pay my rent many years ago. I vow to return to archery! Let the trumpets sound!

No comments: