7.1.05

Must. . .go. . .outside. . .

Oops, having a black background doesn't exactly help in making the last post clear, but the two colour bars on the far left are black. Just so you know.

I have to apply to UBC this week, maybe even today. L and I have yet to settle my fines at the library (L is coming along to help, she is a great advocate and sometimes I am lousy at these sort of things. Bureaucracies can be difficult waters to navigate.) but luckily, I have thirty days to to dispute the fine. This situation has had ramifications in my life already: my application for a credit card was denied, and I reckon my association with a collection agency was a factor in the bank's decision. I will get my UBC application form today, either from L who can pick one up or I'll just download it. Either way.

The snow is still falling and public transit is having problems. I take the train rather than a bus to get to school, so I can make my anthropology class today. My weekend looks like this: swing by the community centre to watch the fencing open, finish my homework and maybe get some comics or. . .a video game! Yes, I have a love for semi-obscure, unpopular games like Project Nomads. The game looks like fun - with a mash-up of genres like fantasy and steampunk you really can't go wrong. Although, steampunk sometimes incorporates fantastical elements, I find the best steampunk stories keep it to a minimum (future apologies to C and his project, which is a notable exception to my critique. His project is unique in it's narrative approach to the genre.) It takes me forever to buy stuff, I'm just not that fanatical about owning anything. Most purchasable stuff out there will always be available in some way. I can order it online or spend a couple of hours hunting around. My biggest gripe with "geek culture" is the focus on possessing as many material goods as possible, like hunters displaying deer heads in their living room. So, some of things I'm into fall within the "geek" category, like comics and video games. Well, with the folks associated with Halo 2 making as much money as George Lucas, and McSweeney's issue thirteen edited by none only than Chris Ware (and devoted to talents in the industry) I can confidentally hypothesize that "geek culture" has infiltrated the larger cultural sphere. No surprise there.

No comments: