30.8.05

If being a yuppie is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

So. Today was made up of long stretches of commuting, then punctuated by brief moments of excitement. First, we did end up going to American Apparel. I know exactly what you're thinking: what's that dude doing in that shop? Well, I'm sick of buying clothes that age too quickly or tear too easily once I get then out of the shop. Most stuff from department stores look like crap; the colour is a little off or there's a some crap logo blazoned across the chest. Ew. Then, the clothes at AA (not Alcoholics Anonymous, the selection there sucks) are "reasonably" priced (the black hoodie I picked up was a tad too much) and lo and behold, they're not made in sweatshops!

We made our way to Granville Island so I could drop off the media tickets form for Fringe Fest. We wandered into this office where everyone was buzzing around and ignoring us. I caught the eye of one woman, who turned out to be really awesome, took my name and the form. It's a bizarre experience stepping into a scene like that - you feel like a piece of furniture that is in everyone's way.

We picked up some food from Friends of Cheese (Brie and broccoli soup, a wedge of Stilton and some organic French toastie things) and then some browsing on Fourth Avenue. Nothing good there. After that, we made it to UBC. I had to give them workstudy form and verification form for my scholarship. We also sent Financial Aid after the Ministry for screwing up our confirmation forms.

Okay, I just used the word "form" three freakin' times there. The problem of living in a post-industrial, capitalist society? It makes your language sound like a letter from a civil servant drone.

It was raining off and on all day, which was an awesome break from the heat. So, yeah. Lisa and I finished the day at this medical center, where Lisa got an X-Ray (I repeatedly joked she might accidentally get super-powers from being exposed to those mysterious rays. Any word beginning with the letter X is kind of mysterious) and I crossed the street from the center and visited my doctor. Nothing serious.

We got home a few hours ago. I took a bath, read stuff from the internets, ate cheese and sipped soup, and now I'm ready for bed.

And - a huge congratulations to Chris and Carla! Chris proposed to Carla over the weekend, and they expect to be married this coming spring! wOOt!

Actual number of times the word "form" appears here: Five. No, wait. Six.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you did buy "form" fitting jeans yesterday. I wish I'd known what was to come today...

Actually, I did get powers from the Xray. My fractured or bruised leg is magically healed! My thesis is written! I've smashed some tables and ripped some shirts! (I guess we'll be back to AA tomorrow. Sigh)

G'night.
*L

Jay said...

Now I know why you were so noisy last night.