17.8.05

Who needs money? Me.

Today is new comic day. However, I probably won't be able to pick anything up, on account of being broke. I will get to go outside and enjoy the chilly, cloudy day today. I have to venture out to the "old" school, I think for the final time, and pick up my term papers. If I find I have any dough I'll probably be downtown.

The play is going, um, "well." I looked over it and did some minor revisions, but I spotted some clumsy, not-so-funny parts that need work. I wanted to write a darker comedy, but this thing is really light and sweet. L convinced me to keep the tone, but I will tighten up some scenes. If I get any good work today, then I will workshop tomorrow night. Otherwise, I have another week to finish the fourth draft. Yes, the fourth draft.

Overall, my days are slipping by pretty fast. I had lunch at Cassis yesterday, the new French restaurant on Pender Street. I ordered the thin crust pizza with wild mushrooms, truffle and goat cheese. The dish was very toothsome, with rich, earthy flavours rounded off by the creamy goat cheese. The crust was terrific, very balanced flavour-wise and texture-wise. We ordered the house wine, a French red (I don't remember the name, I should have written it down). The wine had a thick body and a nice, clean finish, but the nose was rather flat. I tried making the panna cotta, but the milk and cream didn't react to the agar, so it ended up being more of a cream pudding. The flavour was very sweet, and I think this could follow a heavy meal.

I'm enjoying my books. The problem with reading while being a full-time student (this only applies to me) is the amount of material I need to cover as I try to manage my recreational reading. Comics somewhat fulfill my craving, but I do need text. When I'm in school I have trouble finding the time to read what I want. Now that the semester is over, it's even harder to pick up a book, because I kinda need a break. Tonight, I'm going to lock myself away with books, comics (maybe) and laptop in my room and soak up some words.

I should point out that A took the shots of the market stall.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A. really captures the feeling a market if he says so himself. Hire him as a photographer and if you tell him that J. sent you receive a discount or a swift kick in the behind... his choice!

Jay said...

If you go with the swift kick, you will notice that the imprint left on your behind resembles Tony Danza.

Anonymous said...

(laughter)

Anonymous said...

the wine: Bastide

Jay said...

Thank you, Anonymous.