5.12.05

Stuff to keep me busy.

Did I tell you all I had fun yesterday?

Lisa, Jess, Julianna and I drove (courtesy of Julianna, thanks again!) out to Cypress to get some snowshoeing done. When I woke up that morning the snow was coming down in thick, soft flakes - just the sight of them got me stoked to climb up a mountain. I haven't used my gear in awhile, so finding things like a compass or a headlamp or whatever else was a chore.

The hill was getting crowded when we got there, but luckily it was mostly cross-country skiing folks, leaving the snowshoe trails relatively empty. The tall trees were coated with snow, and parts of the trails were bookended by large snow banks. There were times when I had to run up the trail or march into a snowbank. We visited the hut and Lisa and I had coffee, chili and a muffin while we watched the falling snowflakes get thicker.

Hauling out my gear, driving out to a mountain and fooling around in the snow has ignited my love of hiking and climbing. I was thinking of heading over to Mountain Equipment Coop to get a new daypack (I know X-mas is coming, but I asked for a new backpack for school - okay, I'm a little greedy, I know) today after I do some dishes and return movies. Lisa and I will be taking in a matinee.

This is my first day off school. It is lovely. I will have to meet my linguistics study group tomorrow and study for my English exam (open book, wOOt!) but that's about it. I do have some writing chores, though. Submit some stuff to magazines, get the play workshopped (finally!) and find out if the student journal is taking any of my two short stories.

2 comments:

Julia said...

wow... that sounded like fun. i should have gone.

ppbbth!

Jay said...

Dude!

I don't know why I totally neglected to include you in the list of attendees! My brain was still in bed, I suppose. Sorry!