18.12.05

Working towards something here.

We finished up our Christmas shopping today - yeah, exciting. I'll be shopping for Lisa tomorrow while the aforementioned lady will be hunting out small gifts to fill out the bigger items.

The script is going well, but I might've been too ambitious thinking I could get it workshopped over the holiday. I'll be happy just to have finished another edit. Funny thing, writing a script. Every line has to count, I can't toss in a flat-sounding line just to provoke a character to say something interesting. There are always opportunities to sustain tension throughout a scene, and I pointed out some scenes that really need that kind of treatment. There are some books in my library related to my play I'm going to dig through.

I feel like reviewing.

Fantastic Four/Iron Man: Big in Japan

Tasty. That is the word I use to describe Seth Fisher's artwork. His work on the Legends of the Dark Knight story was a tremendous feat, including half-page panels crammed with pain-staking details without the cluster and confusion. Think Geoff Darrow but with a rounder, fuller linework and a softer palette. Very cartoony. Big in Japan is no exception, only this time the colours are lush and bright, and Fisher takes advantage of some of manga's conventions, like exaggerated features and so forth. The artwork works well with a story that is crafted like a classic FF story - a sci-fi parable that twists around like an eggnog-induced hallucination.

B.P.R.D.: The Black Flame


When I first saw Paul Pope's upcoming work on a Batman story, I totally mistook him for Guy Davis. That's actually a good thing - they may be similar, so that means they have the same strengths, right? Mike Mignola wrote, and it's great, etc. No, no, it's good. "The Black Flame" reminds me of, uh, I don't know, Doctor Doom? Some classic Marvel villain? Stephen Harper? Who knows. The funny thing is, I kind of like him. His menacing appearance suits the wide panels throughout the comic, but I would like to see some variety now and then, like smaller panels highlighting details during conversations. Anyhoo, it's kind of an epic story, so having a larger-than-life villain is fine, just fine.

No comments: