19.9.05

Monday morning!

The articles are done, and now I have one film review to write up. It's only 500-600 words. I'm okay with this.

Started Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell last night, and I'm already entranced after the first dozen pages. Clarke's 19th century voice is very convincing, and my suspension of disbelief is firmly entrenched whenever I crack open this hefty tome. More to come, for sure.

I also owe myself a Vonnegut write-up, and this promise will be honoured as soon as I feel I'm caught up enough. I'm a little behind on my linguistics reading (although most of my class is in the same situation) and so Tuesday will be another day of sitting and working.

Robin and Grace swung by Saturday night, and their brief visit was really fun. House guests have a way of breathing life back into the house. We did some catching up Saturday night, then on Sunday morning we wandered around Chinatown sampling deep-fried pastries. I was sorry to see them go.

The Chinese donut never ceases to amaze my palate, or clog my arteries.

I just remembered I have a thousand phone calls to make. Good-bye.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm deep fried baguette.

Jay said...

After eating one of those, I have to pound my chest a few times to get the old heart working.

Jane Dark said...

What's a Chinese donut?

Anonymous said...

Not content to leave our little wander through Chinatown in the realm of the unresearched, I've spent the last half hour learning a little mandarin, a little Cantonese, and a whole lot about the world of fried dough.

The Chinese doughnut, which we have been calling "deep fried baguette" is called yiu tiao in Mandarin. It tastes like fry bread, without the sweetness. For me, this was a little dissapointing, since doughnut, to me, means sugar shock in addition to clogged arteries. Here is a picture:

http://home.comcast.net/~osoono/ethnic-doughs.htm

The pic is near the bottom of the page, between vetkoek and zeppole. *drool*. Despite the terrible "ethnic doughs" name, this site is notable for its pictures of fry bread from around the world. Internet, I love you.

The best thing I learned about these things is their Cantonese name. Yao ja guai is not only fun to say, but has become my new insult of choice. It literally means Fried Devils.

J, I'm thinking we should organize a "Fry Bread Around the World" Tour. Oh, yes, I think we must.
love,
*l

Jay said...

Lisa gave a very definitive description of the Chinese donut, but a shorter would be a long, baguette shaped bread that is deep-fried. It's generally not very sweet, but is rather chewy.