2.9.05

Storms and picture-books.

Some interesting discussions (or, sometimes, what resembles a discussion on the interweb) that have caught my attention this morning.

First, a decent essay by Dirk Deppey on the emergence of shoujo in the American/Canadian comics market. The essay is well-timed, particularly to my interest in manga as a whole, because I wrote an article on women and manga from an "outsider's" perspective (someone who is new to the literary and graphic conventions of manga) a scant few months ago. Deppey's thesis was countered by Patrick Daniel O'Neill, who states that manga and comics are two distinct mediums, like Japanese kabuki and Euro-American theatre. Youse can read it here, with commentary. His argument was the equivalent of thrusting a pointed stick into a wasps' nest, as seen here. Comments? Questions?

Also, I stumbled upon a small but invigorating thread on Marlo's blog - she dated a friend for awhile, and now I read her blog on occasion. In light of the Katrina disaster, she brings up issues of racism and classism inherent in disaster planning, and the larger of issue of misappropriating federal taxes.

Image courtesy of The Beat.

5 comments:

marlo said...

Hey J. Found it! :D

marlo said...

Oh, also: TONS of Hurricane Katrina-related links on boingboing.net. That site is by far my favorite link depository. It always has lots of interesting stuff.

Jay said...

Boing Boing rocks! I go there every few days to check stuff out. :D

M said...

I was though of manga as just the japanese word for comic. I just call them comics, because that's what they are. It's a little irritating to have one form of media from one country categorized under one label. But I guess that's the same thing as the term "Bollywood".

Jay said...

I totally agree. The only differences between the two are the conventions. Manga artists and writers use different means of telling a story (like facial gestures or slower story pacing) than American comics. Just like, oh, I don't know, Japanese and American theatre!