5.9.05

Not much to report today, the sternographer said as she stood up for another cup of coffee.

Not much to report today. I spent the day nursing a hang-over (last night we started drinking at the house, then Julia and Jason's place, then the Fountainhead and then Celebrities; the pitcher at the Fountainhead was a gallon's worth of beer) and I was seeking food and coffee for the rest the afternoon. I wanted to attend the Victory Square block Party (local bands play for free!) but the idea of noise and crowds was nauseating. We ended up having coffee and eggs with Jess. It was nice. The weather was just perfect - not too hot but still sunny. I decided I want to travel to Chile, Jamacia and Vietnam.

There was an unsuccessful culinary experiment this evening: I tried making a saffron-cream sauce for pasta, but the saffron totally overwhelmed the flavour. The dish was too flowery, with a slight, bitter aroma. The recipe called for a quarter of a teaspoon, but I think an eighth would be enough. However, the tomato and New Zealand spinach salad totally saved the day, due to the spicy peanut dressing I whipped up. I'll rinse the pasta and throw in some chili paste to cover up the taste, then chased back with a beer.

More editing tomorrow, plus a quick write-up of Slaughterhouse-Five. Oh, and I need more links!

3 comments:

Jane Dark said...

I wonder if the saffron cream sauce would work better if you added coconut milk.

As for links, no blog is complete without a link to Fafblog...

Julia said...

usually we just add a pinch of saffron to some hot soy milk - which is better than water because you can tell when the colour is totally difused. this works like a charm for all the saffrony dishes jason likes to make.

mmmm saffron.

Jay said...

Yeah, I might try using coconut milk in the future; I was really disappointed with the saffron. Lisa is totally turned off from it. Julia, if you guys want our small dose of saffron, ust let me know. It's the authentic Spanish stuff.

I'm going to swing by Fafblog later, I'm in school right now so my time is short. Nice to hear from you guys!