23.9.05

The picture has nothing to do with the post. It's just nice, that's all.

I don't usually do requests, but there are always exceptions to the rule.

Now, it's been brought to my attention that my "review" of Jess's fabulous breakfast was sadly lackluster. Allow me to expand on that.

There are two kinds of breakfasts in the world. The kind of breakfast we eat when we're trying to get out the door, or we're not in the mood to cook or we're just too sick to even crack an egg. Then, there's the kind of breafast we savour, as each bite is a luxury as we read the paper or listen to the radio or watch television. What was unique about Jess's breakfast is that her eggs and coffee were the result of the former kind of breakfast when we really wanted the latter. Just replace "sick" with "hung over." The coffee was rather light, which was perfect for the time of day - strong coffee in the afternoon can kill my stomach - and had a casual tone to it. It was not the complicated coffees we would get at a cafe, it was the kind with a bright, simple flavour friends drink as they gossip in the kitchen. The eggs were a treat. Fluffy, light, and unpretentious; the only problem I had was the amount. I could have eated an entire plate of them, they were that good. Accompanied by slices of chewy toast and orange juice, we enjoyed our feast on Jess's front lawn on a table draped with a colourful tablecloth. The service was exquisite, although the patronage have to make their own coffee, an innovative idea but some folks have trouble even grinding the bean, and we can't have ham-fisted philistines handling such a delicate chore. I strongly suggest taking the time to enjoy this hidden gem.

Had my first day of work yesterday. A brief but thorough orientation plus the first day of training, which was really fun. It's been awhile since I really enjoyed a grammar lecture, especially when it gets into philosophy, history and linguistics. My Wednesday was super fun, I got 20% off my comics (it would have been $60, but it came out to be $40) and I still haven't read them all. Susanna Clarke is still an excellent read.

Back to the books.

Photo by Andrew.

1 comment:

Jay said...

That's my cat Salvador snoozing on one of our office chairs.