11.7.04

Rock n' Roll Post-Secondary School

A little too much work for a weekend. A presentation, plus a paper for psychology. And two assignments for English. I get the impression that profs don't give a flyin' Jesus if you have a life, or other classes that are equally as demanding. I know my academic career can't always consist of 100-200 level classes, and as time goes on the work will have a greater emphasis on thinking out problems rather than banging out paper after paper on topics I wouldn't usually even glance at. I'm getting just a touch burned out on this whole school thing. It had better be worth it.

Just picked up my first Bacchus comic (Eddie Campbell, From Hell) and 1,001 Nights of Bacchus is a lovely read. I find Campbells line work more "free" looking, more spontaneous than his work in From Hell, except when he draws Bacchus and then he gets very tight and serious. I'm getting really stuck on Astro City (Vol. 2) now. It seems these days I only have time for poetry and comics, and I'm only reading poetry I already have but never gave myself a chance to explore. I'm very fond of Hart Crane at the moment, particularly The Bridge, which I believe is his most important book.

I missed the local poerty fest that happened a week ago! All the local bigwigs made an apperance, there must have been over twenty-five poets! I had company from out of town, and I didn't want to drag them out. Bitter? A little.

No comments: