9.7.04

The Stork and the Frog

The profile section lets you write a story - well, I did, but I went way over the one hundred and fifty word limit. So here it is.

Now this bald frog, who keeps a yellow jar under his arm to hold all the flies he catches, was napping in a hollow pumpkin in Farmer Needle's field. You see, the frog had no name, and a storm had swept him away from his beloved pond and he had to live in this field. He really missed his pond y'know, he missed the way the sunlight rippled across the water, and bright green lily pads bobbed on the waves like little boats. And the thing is, y'see, when animals are taken away from their homes, they lose their real name. I don't know why that is, maybe Nature gets too sad and wants to forget Her friend's name so She won't feel so bad, who knows? Ask the crows sometime, I'm sure they would like to tell you why. Anyway, the frog is sleeping in his pumpkin when a stork landed nearby and waltzed over to see what there is to see, and lo and behold a little frog with a yellow jar under his arm was snoozing inside a pumpkin! The stork lowered his head slowly, so very slowly, to gobble up our friend the frog. But just as the stork was about to catch the frog, our brave little amphibian tossed the jar into the storks mouth! The jar, however, got stuck in the stork's throat, and he squawked and flapped his wings and ran around in circles! The frog perched on the edge of his pumpkin and chuckled. The stork saw him and asked:
"Mr. Frog! Mr. Frog! You must help me! If I can't get this jar out of my throat I won't be able to eat!"
The frog replied, "my dear sir, if I were to remove said jar, you will eat me!"
"I promise I will not!" cried the stork, but the frog knew better.
"Before I help you, you must answer one question for me" said the frog.
"Very well" replied the stork.
"What is the one thing you hate to eat the most?" asked the sly frog.
"Well," mused the stork, "I like to eat frogs (you already knew that) and I love to eat fish, but I really hate eating those who wear wigs"
The frog grinned and said, "If you wait a moment, I will help you."
So the frog dashed away and collected hay from the field and wove a handsome wig, then using a little mud he attached it to his head. He returned to the stork, who was taken aback by the sight of the frog's wig!
"Mr. Frog, what a ghastly thing on your head! I cannot eat you, not in a million years!"
The frog then crawled into the stork's mouth, being careful not to fall, and grabbed the jar, and in one pull the jar popped out of the stork's throat and the frog with his yellow jar landed back into his pumpkin.
"Mr. Frog! You saved me! But since I can't eat you, then maybe I can help you get back to your pond, a pumpkin is no place for a fine frog such as yourself!"
The frog agreed, and the stork let the frog climb onto his back and the two flew back to the frog's pond. Now, the frog was given his name back, but an animal's real name is kept secret from people, what do you think his name is?

No comments: