13.7.04

Tuesday's Menu Specials

As my week comes to a close, and assignments get handed in, I think I'll get the largest, cheapest bottle of gin and make my way up the tallest mountain. One that preferably looks over the city. As I'm halfway down the bottle, I'll pick up the largest boulder and heave it into the city. If I don't get chased away by the park rangers or accidently crush my house, I think I'm gonna go to the horse races and bet my entire student loan on a horse with a funny name, or if the horse's name is Ulysses. A fine name for a horse.

I'm halfway through The Iron Wagon adapted by Jason (I don't recall the original writer) and to date it is my favourite "recent" work put out. I can only read the latest comics a year after they come because my funds are in a strangle hold. Jason uses negative space like a master, creating a palatable tension between the characters with a simple palette: red, black and muted paper-bag brown. I'm a huge fan of nineteenth-twentieth century European literature (Witold Grobowicz is spooky and cool. . .spookier and cooler than goths! Well, that's not too difficult) and seeing a novel adaptation in my "field" is pretty exciting.

No comments: