4.1.06

First day!

The first day was good, very good - now I'm exhausted and I'm ready for a hot mug of tea and a book. I was criss-crossing the campus all morning, dodging students and hunting for classrooms. Unfortunately, I still have some schoolwork to finish, like a short reading for sociology (Habermas and the public sphere) and English (Pope's essay on literary criticism) tonight, and some tomorrow. I already dropped one course and tomorrow night I'm going to try to trade sociology classes; lose Canadian social structure for crime and society. I don't need the Canadian class because (a) I have to take a Canadian studies class in my fourth year in order to graduate and (b) I've been thinking about crime a great deal, especially in light of the tragic shootings in Vancouver and Toronto.

I'm still debating about whether I should keep introduction to literary theory. Here's my reasoning: I don't need another first year course, in fact, I should be taking third year courses at this point. Since this intro class is a first year course, it will only hold me back. Second, the university offers exemplary classes in lit theory in the third and fourth year level. And to top it off, I already own the text book. Since I have the syllabus, I can simply teach myself the material. Why not? I've been an autodidactic since I was seventeen. I'll have to make a decision soon.

No comments: