10.1.06

To the cyclist who splashed me: make sure you remove your asshat before you get on your bicycle.

I needed to take a breather this afternoon. This morning was rough. First, I slept in and missed my American lit class - the one that is fast becoming my favourite at the moment - and I had finished all the readings and took notes and everything. I wanted to point out that some of Emerson's passages from "The American Scholar" read like Marx (*turns pages to find examples* - ah, here it is: "Man is thus metamorphosed into a thing, into many things [. . .] The priest becomes a form; the attorney, the statute-book; the mechanic, a machine; the sailor, a rope of a ship.") or de Tocqueville ("Another sign of our times [. . .] is the new importance given to the single person. Everything tends to insulate the individual - to surround him with barriers of natural respect, so that each man shall feel the world is his, and man shall treat with man as a sovereign state with sovereign state.").

I went to the book store to return two books, but the cashier (in the most polite way) informed me that I needed the same bank card to get a full refund. Disappointed, I left the book store and walked to work, and then someone on a bicycle splashed me with water as he jumped off the curb.

Sorry, I know it sucks when someone uses their blog to transmit their grievances to the rest of the planet. I now have a glass of wine (Terra Sana, a 2002 French red - the nose was remarkably medicinal, which is not entirely bad, while I picked up some some strong berry flavours like black current. The structure was fine; a simple, drinkable wine that lingered on the palette) and I'm about to resume my reading. I'll make sure I crash early tonight, and tomorrow night, so I can make my classes in the morning. My prof for American lit sometimes posts his lectures on the course homepage. See? Not all bad.

I am such a nerd: I get anxious if I miss my class, I don't speak up in class when I have the answer and if I go out on a "school night" when I have readings or assignments due. Ha. Yes.

I'm sending in my application to study in Slovenia this month.

No comments: